Tuesday

Know what's better than water?

Flavored water!


Homemade flavored water is a real treat! I just made some cucumber water and it's a hit in this household.

I peeled it, but you can leave the skin on if you wish - just make sure you scrub off the wax and pesticides.  I chopped up 2 medium cukes into thin slices and added it to a gallon of water. Let it sit for 12-24 hours for it to steep. Yumm... very refreshing.

And how about watermelon water?
All you need to do is puree two cups of watermelon cubes (seedless, of course) with two cups of water. Pour the puree into a pitcher and stir in another cup of water. The recipe says you can add sugar if it isn't sweet enough, but I can't imagine why you would want to. I think the mildly flavored water would be pleasant, and why would you add sugar to an otherwise healthy refreshment?

If watermelon's not in season, try mango, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes — whatever you like, as long as you use about 2 cups of fruit.
Also, why not freeze your homemade concoctions into ice cubes to use later in your water drink?
Watermelon Ice Cubes

You could also freeze melon balls to use as ice cubes for added flavor and fun. Enjoy!
How about some chopped up mint into the water that you make into ice cubes?


Here are some comments that posters left on food sites featuring flavored waters:

*  Add sliced turnips too... Basil Leaf Cafe in Chicago serves cucumbers and turnips in their water and it tastes delicious!

*  During the summer my hair salon puts out for their clients one of those big glass jars with a spigot. In it is ice cold water with round slices of cucumbers and oranges floating. It's very pretty to look at and oh, so refreshing!

*  I love making mint water! Mint leaves were already mentioned, and that's one way to make mint water (and a very good fresh way), but I don't usually have fresh mint available. So, I've taken to using peppermint essential oil. Just one drop of this essential oil in a gallon of water gives the water a nice refreshing light minty taste. Yummy!

*  I love to keep a pitcher of water with slices of oranges and lemons in it for a refreshing beverage! Beautiful and flavorful--but you have to love citrus.

*  For all that get tired of plain water and want to avoid artificial sweetners and chemicals. I take a gallon of spring water and pour a little out to leave some room.  Cut slices - a half of orange, lemon, lime, strawberries and cucumber. Let them float in the water, keep in fridge.

*Great idea - and what's so awesome about this, you can keep refilling the water over and over for almost a week. I've done this in the past and when I pour a glass, I just refill the pitcher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea as I only drink water as my main drink. I never thought about adding anything other than Lemons. I am really looking forward to experimenting!